Mark Convery has extensive experience in business law generally and in corporate and securities law specifically. His experience includes mergers and acquisitions, private placements, public offerings, private equity fund formation and investments, corporate governance and investment funds. Mr. Convery has considerable experience in cross-border transactions and has advised clients at all stages of development from start-up to mature public companies, multinational companies and private equity funds.
Clients for whom Mr. Convery has recently acted include:
- Brookfield Capital Partners Ltd. in their acquisition of 213 gas bars operated by Loblaw, Loblaws Inc. and certain of its affiliates on lands leased from, in most cases, Choice Property REIT.
- Nortel Networks Limited in its $242 million sale to Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson of its 50% plus 1 share interest in LG-Nortel Co. Ltd., a joint venture between Nortel Networks Limited and LG Electronics
- Nortel Networks Corp. in its US$1.13 billion sale to Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson of its CDMA business
- Borealis Infrastructure Management Inc. in its acquisition of the laboratory diagnostics services business of MDS Inc.
Mr. Convery has also acted for clients in the following matters:
- Mergers and acquisitions of private and public companies, both friendly and hostile, domestic and cross-border (including use of exchangeable share structures) and going-private transactions
- Corporate finance and securities, including private and public offerings of debt and equity securities in Canada and cross-border for companies ranging from initial financing rounds and initial public offerings to cross-border public offerings, for technology companies, industrial companies and public/private partnerships. In addition, advised with respect to directors and officers’ duties and obligations, registration matters, continuous disclosure, shareholders’ meetings and proxy contests
- Investment funds and wealth management, including establishment of and day-to-day advice on mutual funds and pooled funds, mergers of funds and fund groups and advice to wealth management service providers on a range of issues
- Private equity, including establishment of private equity funds and co-investment programs, representing both investor and investee companies
- Corporate and commercial law, including advising private and public companies on acquisitions, divestitures, licence, distribution and supply agreements, strategic alliances, shareholders’ agreements and other commercial contracts and transactions
- Bankruptcy and restructurings, including providing securities law advice on large, complex multijurisdictional restructurings and using bankruptcy legislation to acquire businesses.
Rankings and recognitions:
- Who’s Who Legal: Canada – Private Funds 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; Corporate Mid-Market
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Mutual Funds Law, 2006-2021
Meet Mark at our More Than Networking event! You’ll have the opportunity to hear more about his professional experiences, hear his advice on how to reach your goals, ask him questions and introduce yourself.
Get your free tickets here: